Sign In · New? Sign Up
Learn More Psychology
Access every article, download
guides, audio and more.
Join Today
Psychologist World

You are here: Home » Psychology Forums » Dream & Sleep Psychology Forum

(No subject)

I've been doing some research on dreams because of some slightly worrying issues I've been having. During my research I have come across lucid dreaming- being aware that you're dreaming and being able to control them. It wasn't until then that I realised that wasn't normal. I have never tried purposely to have lucid dreams, I wouldn't have a clue how to go about that, but as far as I can remember I've always had this ability (as has my father).

I've been aware of my dreams since I can remember and have been able to control what happens- I've seemed to gain more control as I've grown older (I am now 16). I remember when I was younger I used to fly around and they used to be nice, fun dreams. However, as I got older my dreams started to turn into nightmares. In all my dreams as far as I can remember I seem to be a victim of something/someone. I’m either being chased, held hostage, killed, attacked or I'm in some kind of fire or war or whatever. My 'nice' dreams have become less and less frequent over the years and now they are all bad. And yes, since I am a natural lucid dreamer it isn't THAT much of a problem.

I'm fully aware that it's only a dream and so they're never scary. It's kind of exhausting having to control everything that happens too so I tend to just sit back and watch it all unfold, viewing myself in third person being victim to whatever my mind creates. When they go a little TOO far however that's when I intervene or just wake myself up. I've never been scared in a dream; I've only ever been nervous/anxious. This is some background information about my past dreaming.

As of a couple of weeks my sleeping pattern and my dreams have suddenly changed. I do suffer from a lot of anxiety and anxiety-related health issues meaning that I never have had a great sleeping pattern. One day I was sleeping as usual- taking a long time to fall asleep, having one long 'lucid' dream and then waking up again. The next day I literally had 15-20 dreams in ONE night, waking up between each one to change position and then drifting off again. They are all short but extremely vivid dreams that I can remember perfectly for a long time after waking up. And now they're even MORE vivid... to the point that I'm being physically harmed.

I dreamt that I was arguing with my grandfather in front of friends and family when he grabbed my arm and pulled me away violently. I realised in my brain that this wasn't good so I ran away from him and barricaded myself in my bedroom. Anyway, I woke up after this short dream and felt an aching in my arm where he'd forcefully grabbed me. When I looked there was (and still is) a very clear bruise where his thumb had pushed into my skin. This freaked me out for a moment but I tried to think logically and persuaded myself that I had somehow harmed myself in real life.

Last night, I dreamt that a stranger had sneaked up behind me and burnt my hand with a cigarette before disappearing again. When I woke up I felt a stinging sensation and I now have a perfect-circle shaped burn exactly where the guy had hurt me in my dream. NOW I am concerned.

I have found no similar stories to my own on the internet so I've decided to post my own in the hope that someone out there knows what's up with my dreams.

3rd Jun 15 Posted by:      Maddie
Replies to this message:

Author:

Subject:

Replies:

Date:

No posts in this forum yet. Be the first to post a message!

Post a Reply:

Type the words in the image (right):

Verify

←  Back to Forums

Most Read
Personality Quizzes
Advertisement
Self-Help Guides
Follow Psychologist World