Defense Mechanisms Quiz
Test your knowledge of defense mechanisms in psychology with this revision quiz.
20 questionsDefense Mechanisms Quiz
Take the Quiz
Test your knowledge of defense mechanisms in psychology with this quiz.
Let's see how you scored:
0 out of 20
1. What purpose does a defence mechanism serve?
2. A defence mechanism is usually used _________.
3. Who first identified defense mechanisms as a way of protecting against anxiety?
4. Which defence forms basis of many other mechanisms?
5. Who proposed "identification with an aggressor" as a defense mechanism?
6. Who proposed a 4-level hierarchy of defense mechanisms?
7. Which of the following is an example of the defense mechanism, 'identification'?
8. Which of these might be considered a mature defence mechanism according to George Vaillant?
9. Reaction formation involves what type of behavior?
10. What is sublimation?
11. What is splitting?
12. What is somatization?
13. The defense mechanism of 'regression' involves what behavior?
14. Separating one set of negative feelings from other feelings is an example of which defense mechanism?
15. Internalising criticism is an example of which defense mechanism?
16. What is rationalisation?
17. Nathan feels uncomfortable flying but tries to convince his brother that it is in fact he who has a phobia of air travel. Which defense mechanism might this be an example of?
18. Zoe is criticised in a meeting and decides to shout and storm out of the meeting in front of her colleagues. This is an example of which defense mechanism?
19. Andrew was neglected by his father but experiences resentful feelings towards his therapist later in life. This behavior might be associated with which defense mechanism?
20. Convincing oneself that you are more fortunate than a neighbor is an example of which defense mechanism?
Correct! Well done.
Oops! That's incorrect.
Question 1 of 20